Most viewed - Evan's Gallery |

Patrick Henry Harrington son of Patrick Harrington b March 2, 1846 Castletownbere Parish185 viewsPat's father Patrick was descended from Deeshirt Harrington's who "followed the sea as fishermen. Going as far north as Iceland for their catch." He volunteered his service, underage, to the Union Navy for three years during the Civil War. He named his son's after American patriot heroes Patrick Henry and Daniel Webster.
Pat's brother John, at the age of 20, began his five year service in the Civil War in the 30th Massachusetts volunteers. John's son, Henry A. Harrington served as Sgt. in the Spanish American War in the 7th U.S. Light Field Artillery and in WW1 as Sgt. in the U.S. Marines
|
|

USS L-1 comes to the surface after submerged runs at Berehaven 1918141 views
|
|

Anchorage of Warship' Berehaven Post Card early 1900's125 views
|
|

Antique map of Beara/County Cork 118 views
|
|

'Castletown Berehaven' Post Card circa 1908111 views
|
|

Beyond the Land of Liberty' Emigrants on Mid-Ocean Post Card circa 1906111 views
|
|

Patrick Henry Harrington's Graniteville home and Quarries in 1886 engraving110 viewsPHH's house and granite quarries on Snake Meadow Hill. His father, Beara emmigrant Patrick was a stonecutter here.
These quarries have furnished granite for (among others) in 1810 the Boston Court-house; in 1814 the New South Church; and about the same time the Congregational house on Beacon street; the old Parkman house on Bowdoin square; University hall in Cambridge; in 1818-19 the first stone block in the city, on Brattle street;” the columns for Quincy Market in Boston; the First National Bank of Boston; part of the Albany State Capitol; about twenty stories of the Bankers’ Trust Company building in New York City; the Camden Court House in New Jersey; the Presbyterian church in Savannah, Georgia; the base and approaches to the post office at New Orleans; the Frick mansion, and many other residences on the North Shore; the lower story of the new wings of the State House in Boston; many miles of curbing and paving for New England towns and cities; the Forsyth Dental Infirmary in Boston; the dam across the Merrimack River in Lawrence, MA; and the State Prison in Concord (1870-1880's).
|
|

Cromwell's Bridge. Glengarriff109 views
|
|

'Bere Island Village' Post Card circa 1904 108 views
|
|

'Glengarriff Harbour' and 'Otter Rock Glengarriff'107 views
|
|

'Bantry Bay' Photochrome circa 1890106 views
|
|

At Glengariff106 viewsThe Protestant church and Eccles Hotel, Glengarriff.
|
|

Fanciful 'Glengariff Inn' Currier & Ives circa 1850106 views
|
|

Adrigole104 views
|
|

'Glengarriff Castle Hotel. Bantry Bay' Post Card103 viewsFormally the residence of one of Beara's Landlords
|
|

Patrick Henry Harrington's house at 67 North Main St. Graniteville MA102 viewsWay to work your way up in the new WASPY world! Son of a Beara emmigrant, Patrick Henry Harrington purchased the home of his father's employer, granite quarry owner, William Reed.
PHH was able to do well enough to send all his children to some mighty fine schools* and his three son's to MIT in the 20's.
*Westford Academy, Notre Dame, Bryant & Stratton, Chauncey Hall, St. John's, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
|
|
|
Important Notice |
All photographs published on this PhotoSite are copyright of Beara Historical Society and the respective photographers.
Heritage PhotoSite images may be copied and downloaded for private use only. None of the material on this site may be copied for commercial use without written permission from the Society.
|