Last additions - Churches and Religious of Beara |

Church of Ireland. Glengarriff472 viewsJul 28, 2010
|
|

Old Church122 viewsInterior of the old church, Castletownbere. Demolished in 1910Sep 12, 2009
|
|

Church of the Sacred Heart226 viewsA Cork choir in the Church of the Sacred Heart, Castletownbere. Note the altar rails, now goneMar 01, 2009
|
|

Church of the Sacred Heart221 viewsView of the Church of the Sacred Heart, Castletown Berehaven during its construction in 1911. Note the scaffolding, no steel tubes and couplers at that time; in those days scaffoldings were erected by lashing locally grown bamboo poles together with hemp ropes.Jan 11, 2009
|
|

Fr. Brian Harrington with his Sisters386 viewsFr. Brian, Sr. Patricia, Sr. Kathleen, Sr. Sheila Harrington (all three Sisters of Mercy) Fall River, Mass.
Their Grandmother was Mary Harrington, Kilcatherine, Eyeries.
Their Father was Jeremiah Harrington, Hollyhill, Rossmacowen
(emigrated to New Bedford, Massachusetts and married Eileen Cronin)Dec 19, 2008
|
|

The old Convent428 viewsView of Castletownbere as it was in the early 20th CenturyOct 17, 2008
|
|

Inscribed Cross on rock outcrop at Crooha Middle, Adrigole197 viewsThe Cross is 14cm in diameter and possibly made by using a compass set at a radius of 7cm to scribe four arcs that intersect at the centre of the primary circle forming a marigold pattern. There are two other Crosses on nearby stones but one is less elaborate and the other is only partially finished. Various theory's have been put forward as to their purpose, ranging from the astronomical, marking an outdoor altar of early Christianity, being a mould for the communion host or even a bound marker of tarmon lands.Oct 12, 2008
|
|

The Old Church260 viewsThe interior of the old Church, Castletownbere. Demolished 1910 to make way for the present churchAug 06, 2008
|
|

Communion Group261 viewsMay 1971Aug 06, 2008
|
|

Mass239 viewsCorpus Christi Mass in the Square, Castletownbere, Late 1970’sAug 06, 2008
|
|

Bunard and James McJuinie 1949368 viewsAug 06, 2008
|
|

The Rectory, Ardgroom195 viewsPlaque on the wall of the Old Rectory celebrating Canon Goodman.
Unveiled 11th June 2005 Jun 17, 2008
|
|

St. Michaels, Bere Island238 viewsPhoto taken in the early 1900's.
Note the number of British warships moored in the sound.Jun 17, 2008
|
|

In London674 viewsSeated Josie Harrington (Caherkeem), Fr Paddy Harrington (Eyeries)
Bishop Eamonn Casey, Fr Oliver O’Sullivan (Allihies)
standing left to right Jerry Harrington (Caherkeem)
Maureen Harrington (Knockoura)
Denis O’Sullivan (Urhan)
Fr Dermot Nash (Eyeries), Joe Sheehan (Urhan) Jun 15, 2008
|
|

Fife and Drum Band227 viewsJohn Michael O’Neill conducting the last Fife and Drum Band on the Church Steps, CastletownbereMay 28, 2008
|
|

Brother Joseph Mary169 viewsWell known Adrigole BeekeeperMay 27, 2008
|
|
|
Important Notice |
All photographs published on this PhotoSite are copyright of Beara Historical Society and the respective photographers.
Heritage PhotoSite images may be copied and downloaded for private use only. None of the material on this site may be copied for commercial use without written permission from the Society.
|